No. 11 Geoffrey Bawa’s Home
Shortly after he returned from London in 1959 he bought a compact bungalow house in a secluded cul-de-sac, two years later he bought the adjoining house and in 1968 acquired two other adjoining house and embarked on a radical remodelling, including the construction of a four story tower. The final result is a home that masterfully blends two architectural traditions, twentieth century European modernism and traditional Sri Lankan design.
Established in 1877, its galleries include carvings and statues from Sri Lanka’s ancient past, together with many interesting artefacts and paintings from the colonial period.
Dutch Hospital Colombo
Built as a hospital by the Dutch, it has been used for several different purposes over the years. It is believed to have existed since 1681. The Dutch established the Colombo hospital to look after the health of the officers and other staff serving under the Dutch East India Company. Paintings from the era show that it once had a canal running along what is now Canal Row lane. This canal was filled in by the British after their capture of the city. The building was the Colombo Fort Police Station from the early 1980s to 1990s, prior to which it housed the Colombo Apothecaries. It is now a restaurant and shopping precinct.
The 120 year old temple is not the typical Sri Lankan temple. Situated in bustling inner-city Colombo near the scenic Beira Lake, it is a curious mixture of Sri Lanka, Chinese, Thai, Burmese and many other artistic styles. Its exterior is boldly decorated in elaborate designs and golden embellishments. The temple museum contains a huge collections of fascinating items from old Rolls Royces to dainty tea cups and Chinese vases. The head monk is an inveterate traveller and collector of outlandish souvenirs, and also the recipient of many gifts from devotees around the world. Across the road is the Bawa designed serene Seema Malaka Temple perched on the lake – a place designed for rest and contemplation.
Paradise Road The Gallery Cafe
It is housed in the former offices of Geoffrey Bawa. He personally approved the take over of his beloved property and its conversion into a gallery and restaurant by designer and owner, Udayshanth Fernando. Bawa was confident the building would be carefully converted, maintaining its original state with only a pavilion as an addition. The Galleries feature monthly rotating exhibitions by established and local emerging artists.